Welcome to Ilvermorny

This is Atop Mount Greylock, a modern day Ilvermorny rpg. At Greylock, we ignore the existence of the characters of Harry Potter and create all original characters so that we can be free to play in the world created by our Queen, JKR.

Male Student of the Month
Female Student of the Month
Staff Character of the Month
Town Character of the Month
Couple of the Month
Duo of the Month
Author of the Month

PLEASE REGISTER WITH YOUR CHARACTER'S FIRST AND LAST NAME IN PROPER CAPS.

REPLY NEW TOPIC START POLL

Bah Humbug, Open
Suzie Gura
 Posted: Jul 22 2017, 11:05 PM

Weirdo

Age / 16

Blood Type / Halfblood

Hometown / Allagash

Single / No Regrets

Author Alias / Azure

Timezone/

Post Count/ 24

The stars, Suzie had always figured, shouldn't have a huge impact on her personality or fate. To start with, they were really, really far away. Literally an astronomical distance. Second, they were just stars; big, old, burning balls of gas weren't the sort of thing you'd want to assign your destiny to. Finally, if your place and time of birth were important, wouldn't that mean all children born in the same hospitals on the same day would have relatively similar lives? That didn't seem likely.

She rolled her text open to the middle, somewhere. Wrong page. She flipped ahead one. Still wrong. Ahead again. Whoops.

Ten minutes later, she had, unfortunately, come to page 613, and was unable to pretend she couldn't find it anymore. Damn. The book informed her that as a Libra, she was deeply concerned with fairness, prone to self-sacrifice, and needed her voice to be heard. Her moon sign of Capricorn suggested she hated sloppiness and disorder, appreciated social status, and was likely to resist anarchy. Well, then.

Wordlessly, she closed the book and took out the charmed kindle her father had sent her with. She pulled up Molecular Evolution of α-Latrotoxin and tried to settle in comfortably. This would be a long one. Hopefully Garb and Hayashi could help pass the time.
PM
^
Eva Blackwood
 Posted: Aug 7 2017, 04:38 PM

Age / 16

Blood Type / Halfblood

Hometown / England

Single /

Author Alias / Clary

Timezone/

Post Count/ 44

Astronomy class was always her favorite class. There was always something about the endless skies that made her curious- the endlessness was probably the reason. Though she has to say she was pretty disappointed in the lesson today. She did not believe that astronomy had anything to do with the personality nor did she think reading horoscopes predicted the future. But being the good student she is she turned to page 613 and read she was a virgo. Eva had known that already because her father used to study them a long time ago.

She read the paragraph that told her about her zodiac sign "Thoughtful and warm hearted, these natives have a domestic and reliable nature." though she did not believe she did agree. Eva wondered how long they were supposed to be reading for after reading only a paragraph she got bored. It was hard for her to read into something she did not actually believe in. But she would read enough to get through the class and be able to participate if need be. So she looked the left of her and saw that the girl next to her did not seem to believe either.

"Hi, um do you not actually believe in all this stuff either? I honestly think it's bloody ridiculous" She smiled warmly to the other girl. While she looked a bit intimidating she tries not to judge a book by its cover and makes a friend where she can.

@Suzie Gura

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
Suzie Gura
 Posted: Aug 8 2017, 12:19 PM

Weirdo

Age / 16

Blood Type / Halfblood

Hometown / Allagash

Single / No Regrets

Author Alias / Azure

Timezone/

Post Count/ 24

Looking up from her treatise on black widow venom, Suzie took in the girl who'd spoken. Blonde, tanned, blue-eyed. West coast beach babe? Head scar, so maybe an adventurer.

"I don't think it matters if you believe it, does it?. I mean, it still affects you whether or not you get it. Mice don't understand anything complex, but they still get muscle spasms and die. How would you not believe in something that-" Oh. This was going to be a day. "Sorry, I was doing my own reading." The words were an apology, even if the tone wasn't. "Astronomy? No, I don't think the stars dictate my personality from space. That seems like a bit much to me."

She put the kindle aside, turning in her seat to face the other girl. "Suzie," she pointed at herself. "With a Z. Not to be confused with Susie with an S." She poked a thumb at the front of the class, where Susie Mae was continuing to embarrass herself. "We're in some kind of war of attrition, I think."

There ought to be a graph, Suzie thought. Names and inter-personal relationships were hard to explain succinctly. Someone should be charting this all out.

@Eva Blackwood
PM
^
Eva Blackwood
 Posted: Aug 8 2017, 08:11 PM

Age / 16

Blood Type / Halfblood

Hometown / England

Single /

Author Alias / Clary

Timezone/

Post Count/ 44

Eva smiled and laughed at the girl for the comment she made about not comparing her to the other girl in the class who made herself look like a fool in front of pretty much everyone. "Well Suzie with a Z" she laughed a little bit at her own joke-which probably was not all that funny- "My name is Eva" and she smiled warmly at her, then to mock her gesture she pointed at herself as well.

She noticed her thin figure and pale skin and wondered if she ate or if she just generally looked like that. She agreed with Suzie though, she did not think the stars dictated her personality either. "I don't think so either, I think my parents dictated that all on their own- without any help. Well maybe a little, I couldn't let them do all the work." She smirked at her little joke again. Man where was she coming up with all these?

But she was wondering more about what it was she reading. Eva was always looking for some new reading material to get her hands on. She looked at Suzies kindle for a second and asked her "What are you reading? Anything interesting? She asked her with pure curiosity practically leaking out of her mouth.

@Suzie Gura

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
Suzie Gura
 Posted: Aug 9 2017, 09:14 AM

Weirdo

Age / 16

Blood Type / Halfblood

Hometown / Allagash

Single / No Regrets

Author Alias / Azure

Timezone/

Post Count/ 24

Eva laughed a lot, Suzie noticed. Eva laughed a lot, especially at her own jokes. It wasn't the worst quirk, but it grated slightly. Suzie realized she would've had an easier time with the other girl if she'd been expecting so much social interaction. Going from reading to laughing was the kind of difficult shift that wore out her metaphorical clutch.

"I suppose that's the classic nature/nurture debate," Suzie replied. "Whether the kind of people we are is an inherent thing or something determined by our parents and upbringing." She wondered, faintly, if Eva thought her sense of humour was self-crafted, or lifted from her parents. She couldn't imagine it intentionally being the latter. "In either case, I think inherent personality traits, if those exist, are more likely tied to genetics and brain chemistry than to the stars in the sky when we're born."

Suzie's thoughts brightened when Eva asked about the book. Maybe she was being hasty. Her parents had really been pushing her to get to know people before deciding how she felt about them. 10 points to learned behaviour, she thought, and smiled.

"To paraphrase the abstract, it's about α-Latrotoxin, which is the part of black widow bites that affects vertebrates. Which is cool because there are only two known α-latrotoxin sequences in nature. The study takes a bunch of latrotoxin sequences and their homologs and looks at them across the spider family Theridiidae. Basically, it turns out a bunch of spiders have similar venom and are evolving along similar lines (toxin-wise), which is why you can use red-back antivenom to treat black widow bites, and it works pretty well. Also why some other spiders in the family have bite symptoms similar to the weaker side effects of black widow bites: they're basically the same venom, but not as far along, evolutionarily. Anyways, it turns out widows need the α-latrotoxin to affect vertebrae, which is weird, because they rarely eat things with bones. So it looks like maybe widows are evolving to be more toxic to vertebrae, either because of changing diets, or as a self-defence thing." She was unabashedly smiling, by this point. "I feel like a lot of magical poisons ignore α-latrotoxin, because it's hard to get in a pure form, and black widows have a bad rap for killing people. But they don't kill healthy adults; they're just painful to people in decent physical condition. It's like how hitting a friend with the bat bogey curse in dueling club is probably ok, but you wouldn't cast it at your grandmother for laughs over dinner. You can know how to do something and still be responsible about its usage. The school seems to think if they teach me anything fun I'm liable to fly off the broom handle and poison breakfast some day. I'm really looking forward to next year when I can do my own brewing with Advanced Student ingredients. I have thoughts on this combination of alihotsy, basilisk venom, and swallowwort? There's other stuff too, obviously, but I'm pretty sure you can make a poison that's only 5% or so less than basilisk venom, but without any of the pain symptoms. You'd just sort of... Stop, I guess? Of course, it's all theoretical yet (they won't let me have basilisk venom until seventh year poisons. Can you believe it?) but it should totally work. I've laid out all the interaction forumale, and-"

She droned on, happily oblivious to any annoyance or discomfort in her classmates. Following your dreams was important to life happiness, they said. They were, so far as Suzie Gura thought, entirely right.

@Eva Blackwood
PM
^
Eva Blackwood
 Posted: Aug 12 2017, 07:10 PM

Age / 16

Blood Type / Halfblood

Hometown / England

Single /

Author Alias / Clary

Timezone/

Post Count/ 44

Eva listened to Suzie go on and on about what she thinks was poison. She could not have been more bored if she was being completely honest with herself. Nevertheless, she continued to listen because it made the other girl happy. It was not what she talked about the fascinated her, it was how she talked about it. It clearly brightened her day to do so which made it all okay.

Eva thought about some questions to ask the girl to keep her going. But she really could not think of anything. "Wow you really like learning about poison. Are you big on crafting it? You must have really enjoyed that potions class then!" Eva really wasn't sure what else to say to the girl. She wanted to continue conversing with her, but she had no fascination like this girl does. So she decided to be honest with her instead of trying "I'm sorry, I just never found poison so fascinating, but it's okay, I don't mind listening to you, you like talking about it; I can tell, you brightened up a lot when I asked" Her bright blue eyes looked her straight in the eye as she said it but she smiled warmly at her.

@Suzie Gura

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
Suzie Gura
 Posted: Aug 13 2017, 06:47 PM

Weirdo

Age / 16

Blood Type / Halfblood

Hometown / Allagash

Single / No Regrets

Author Alias / Azure

Timezone/

Post Count/ 24

"My folks are apothecaries in Maine," Suzie explained. "Potions class is fun when we get introduced to new things, but a lot of the curative stuff I already learned from them." She paused a beat. "And the fun poisons you can make unsupervised at school I taught myself. Professor Uri seems alright, though. I like potion club, and it gives me a chance to make some new things while he's watching."

"I think a lot of people aren't into poison," Suzie conceded. "But it's so... empowering. Life has been steadily plodding along for ages. Humans are what, 200,000 years old? That's 200,000 years of biological inertia. And with the right combination of ingredients, you can change it. You can make people rage, or fall for each other, or dance, or vanish without a trace. Killing people is what everyone thinks of with poisons, but that's nothing. You can kill someone with a sharp stick and determination." She flipped her wand over in her hand. "Let alone a wand; most second year students could kill a muggle with magic if they wanted to." Suzie's eyes took on a dreamy, faraway look. "Poisons can do so much. A few things in someone's breakfast, and you can separate their nerves from their brain, or give them a crippling fear or sandwiches." She snapped back, her attention back in the class. "That's what poison's about, to me, anyways. Understanding life well enough to bend it, without breaking. That's... something. And it doesn't depend on your wand, or your family, or anything else, other than what you know and can get your hands on. Poison is the great equalizer."

She smiled again, remembering something pleasant. "I know I ramble sometimes. What's your deal? What are you enthusiastic about?"

@Eva Blackwood
PM
^
Eva Blackwood
 Posted: Aug 14 2017, 06:14 PM

Age / 16

Blood Type / Halfblood

Hometown / England

Single /

Author Alias / Clary

Timezone/

Post Count/ 44

Eva considered everything the girl was saying thoughtfully. She tried to understand everyone's side of things whenever she could. "It's like holding power in your hands, all with one herb you can change things." she conceded with the girl "I definitely understand your point and can understand the fascination with it."

Suzie wanted to know what she was enthusiastic about. If she was being honest with herself the first thing that came to mind was her books. She loved nothing more than her collection, they were her prized possessions. However, subject wise she was most enthusiastic about the very class she was in. Whenever it wasn't about astrology.

"Well, as enthusiastic as you are about poison, is how enthusiastic I am about reading and my books. I love reading. It's my favorite thing to do. To get lost and live out the different adventures with whatever character is being written about" She had a thoughtful face on "Sometimes-no most of the time, being lost in fiction is better than reality" she realized she was rambling on about her books and continued what she was originally trying to say "However, subject wise, this is the class I am most enthusiastic about. There's always something about the endless amount of stars in the sky that's been most curious to me" She smiled warmly at the girl while she waited for some kind of judgement to be bestowed upon her. That's usually what she got- the "she's so weird" look.

@Suzie Gura

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
Suzie Gura
 Posted: Aug 15 2017, 02:59 PM

Weirdo

Age / 16

Blood Type / Halfblood

Hometown / Allagash

Single / No Regrets

Author Alias / Azure

Timezone/

Post Count/ 24

"Exactly. 'A well-placed knife topples a king, a well-chosen herb changes his mind.' Exactly that." Suzie smiled faintly. It was nice to have someone get it, if only a little.

Suzie nodded along as Elsie talked about her love of stories. "I've never been that engrossed in non-fiction, but I understand wanting to escape. I think that's a basic human desire. I like living in a time and place where literacy is so high. It makes the exchange of ideas much simpler and faster, whether they're formulas or stories."

The stars didn't interest her the same way they did the younger girl. "I like the stars. They're pretty to look at, and knowing which way North is is handy. But they never really filled me with wonder or anything like that." She shrugged. "I suppose I feel like there's enough down here on earth to worry about without looking to space. Stars are too... out there. I'm glad they're there, but they don't influence my day-to-day enough for me to want to learn more about them." She gestured at the text book. "Unless this stuff is all accurate, of course, in which case I'm wasting my life learning because my destiny is planned out. In that case, I'll probably wish I'd paid more attention."

@Eva Blackwood
PM
^
Eva Blackwood
 Posted: Aug 16 2017, 11:13 AM

Age / 16

Blood Type / Halfblood

Hometown / England

Single /

Author Alias / Clary

Timezone/

Post Count/ 44

It was nice that things were going so smoothly with Suzie. She was in need of more friends she thought to herself. Her parents always told her that she never had enough friends.

She listened to the other girl explain how she felt about literacy. While she was not as enthusiastic about the stories themselves, she understood the way Eva felt. Which was all she could really ask for in that aspect.

"They don't influence my day-to-day enough for me to want to learn more about them." Eva thought she was getting the wrong idea there. "While I do understand, the stars aren't for everyone, but I think you misunderstood, I don't let the stars influence my life, I firmly believe only you can influence that, I just find space curious is all, what endless possibilities are out there." Speaking of the stars in this manner brought her back to reality. She wondered how long they were supposed to be reading this same article.

"Gee, we should really be having some kind of discussion at some point right? While I enjoy your company and talking, I don't want to be just sitting her all class. I came here to learn something."

@Suzie Gura

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

OPTIONS REPLY NEW TOPIC START POLL

Affiliates [ View All | Link-us | Apply ]
Top Sites The Treehouse  

/