Welcome to Ilvermorny

This is Atop Mount Greylock, a modern day Ilvermorny rpg. At Greylock, we ignore the existence of the characters of Harry Potter and create all original characters so that we can be free to play in the world created by our Queen, JKR.

Male Student of the Month
Female Student of the Month
Staff Character of the Month
Town Character of the Month
Couple of the Month
Duo of the Month
Author of the Month

PLEASE REGISTER WITH YOUR CHARACTER'S FIRST AND LAST NAME IN PROPER CAPS.

REPLY NEW TOPIC START POLL

Needing Some Advice, Kiva Kijewski-Jareau
Nina Locklear
 Posted: Jul 3 2017, 02:47 PM

Age / 26

Blood Type / Halfblood

Hometown / Biwabik, Minnesota

Single / N/A

Author Alias / Karo

Timezone/ CEST / GMT+2

Post Count/ 13

It had been a calm day for Nina. Though she didn’t have any classes that day, preparing for the ones to come hadn’t been too stressful, and the creatures she was in charge of caring for seemed content when she left them. All in all, things should have been going great.

However, doubt was eating at her. Some of her students hadn’t been too excited about her lessons. Now, she was well aware that she couldn’t please everyone, but it still bothered her. Surely she was doing something wrong.

With a certainty to her steps, Nina strode through the hallways until she ended up in front of the door she had been looking for. She had had time to think that day; what she needed was advice – preferably from someone with experience in the field, so she was certain they knew what they were talking about.

Deeply inhaling, Nina looked at the door to the Headmistress’ office. The now-retired professor would know a thing or two about how to make lessons interesting, Nina was certain about that. The Headmistress was welcoming and polite, but Nina found her somewhat intimidating. Due to her being so experienced, the other woman made Nina feel like even more of a rookie than she was.

She noticed that she had started fiddling with her necklace and made herself stop. The cross would start denting if she constantly kept on touching it so excessively. Or the color would wear off. But old habits die hard, and she was back to fiddling with it again immediately, the gesture a clear sign that she was, in fact, a little nervous.

Nina was being overdramatic, she knew. It was unfair to her colleague. Nina felt guilty for a second; she really should know better. This was just one professor asking for some advice from another.

And with that, Nina knocked on the door.

@Kiva Kijewski-Jareau
PM
^
Kiva Kijewski-Jareau
 Posted: Jul 3 2017, 05:08 PM

Kiki

Age / 51

Blood Type / Halfblood

Hometown / Albuquerque, NM

Married / Jeff Jareau (NPC)

Author Alias / Sarah/Kiva

Timezone/ EST

Post Count/ 49

This year was beginning to become one of the most exhausting years of her career. Several teachers came and left and new teachers had replaced them. She had students breaking all sorts of rules and now an Auror was on site undercover to figure out some sort of issue that Kiva was not entirely sure she really understood. The Auror she could handle for the time being. If the culprit did end up being someone from the school, he would handle it. The teachers, well, she was always sad to see them go, but that was life and teaching seemed more often to be a transient job these days than a stable one.

Her issue was the students. She felt like they were out of control this year and with so many transfers, she had to wonder if Hogwarts was to blame for their behaviors. She couldn’t remember the last time she had so many issues with students. Kiva never minded pranks, those were just things that were going to happen and the pranks had never harmed anyone physically, although she drew the line if a prankster was constantly pulling jokes on only one student and thus crossing the line into bullying.

But breaking rules like being out at curfew or even leaving school grounds during times when it was not allowed… Kiva just didn’t know what to do anymore. She was already considering expelling a couple of students due to their history and constant testing of authority. She hated to do that though because she would feel like she had failed them.

Kiva sighed and leaned back in her chair. She would probably have a talk with Lucrezia and pick her brain on what they should do about it all. She was too tired to think about it now. She just hoped it worked out before next term because she did not want her daughter to get any ideas when she started school here.

A knock at the door startled Kiva. She looked at her watch and then around her desk to make sure nothing personal of any of the students were in plain sight. Seeing nothing, she raised her wand and waved it at the door, the lock releasing and the door opening. She saw Nina standing at the other side. “Hello Nina.” She greeted with a smile. “Come on in and have a seat. Can I get you coffee, tea, or water?” She asked.

@Nina Locklear

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
Nina Locklear
 Posted: Jul 6 2017, 05:45 AM

Age / 26

Blood Type / Halfblood

Single / N/A

Author Alias / Karo

Timezone/ CEST / GMT+2

Post Count/ 13

The door opened, and Nina leant forward to look inside. She smiled as her eyes locked with those of the Headmistress, sitting there with her wand in her hand. “Good day,” Nina said as she stepped inside of the room, taking in her surroundings. It looked like a pretty regular office to her, but then again, what else would she have expected? “Some tea or water would be nice.” She thought for a moment. “I hope I’m not coming in at a bad time.”

Nina walked over to a chair sitting across from the Headmistress’ desk and sat down. While Nina had still been in school, she had never been sent to any of the staff’s offices, so at least she didn’t associate her seat with anything negative. In fact, sitting there was somewhat comfortable. The office itself had a calming atmosphere, Nina found.

There was no point in stalling. The Headmistress probably had other matters to attend to, so Nina decided to cut to the chase. “I was just wondering if you know of any way to make classes a bit more interesting. Some of the students don’t seem too excited during my classes, and considering you used to be the Care of Magical Creatures professor, I was wondering if you could maybe give me some advice?”

Nina’s brows furrowed as she beheld the other woman, hands going up to fiddle with her necklace again. “I probably should have told you I would be coming by beforehand,” she added, “sorry about that.”

@Kiva Kijewski-Jareau

PM
^
Kiva Kijewski-Jareau
 Posted: Jul 8 2017, 08:20 AM

Kiki

Age / 51

Blood Type / Halfblood

Timezone/ EST

Post Count/ 49

Kiva’s smile warmed at the politeness that the younger woman was showing. Sometimes it was difficult for Kiva to assess the personality of a person based on their application and interview process as everyone always had that ‘front’ so when she was able to see them on the grounds in their actual position, sometimes she was surprised by what she saw. Nina was not a surprise for her. She had seemed like a sweet girl right from the start.

“Oh no, this is a perfect time to come see me.” Kiva answered easily, waving her wand again at the tea pot in the corner that came to life and poured two hot cups of tea. “Milk or sugar or both?” She asked Nina. She knew that some students and likely professors had an idea about her, like she was some big bad mean individual, but that sort of reputation just came with being the head of a school. She actually liked it when staff came in to chat, which was probably why she was so close with Lucrezia and had a great relationship with Dom. They had been working at the school the longest with her and knew her better than anyone else. She hoped that eventually the newer staff would come to see that too.

The tea cups floated over to the two women and carefully set themselves on the desk between them. The question wasn’t necessarily one that she was expecting, but it was far better than most questions that she received. “Please, don’t apologize. My door is always opened, to staff and to the students.” Kiva said quickly, waving off her apology.

“Lessons are very difficult to keep teenagers’ attentions on.” Kiva commented lightly. “Even ones that have animals involved in them.” She added. “Unfortunately, there will always be lessons that some students just won’t care about and if they aren’t interested in creatures, they won’t ever be interested.” Kiva advised the younger woman.

“I can say that some of my more exciting lessons were when they were able to play with the creatures and have a hands-on learning experience. Lectures rarely work in my favor when I was a professor, or now as the Headmistress,” Kiva mused, thinking about the speeches she had to give at feasts and events. “And students tend to like the more dangerous of creatures, so giving a variety helps too. Also, games are pretty big with them. Something to keep them active and entertained.” Kiva said, listing off things that she could remember working for her back then.

“Just don’t take it too personally if there are one or two students who seem less enthused by the lesson. There will always be those students and nothing you do will stop them from that sort of attitude.” Kiva stated with an apologetic smile. They were teenagers and sometimes they had the attitude that they were above such things.

@Nina Locklear

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
Nina Locklear
 Posted: Aug 5 2017, 07:31 AM

Age / 26

Blood Type / Halfblood

Single / N/A

Author Alias / Karo

Timezone/ CEST / GMT+2

Post Count/ 13

"Neither, if that's alright," Nina smiled at Kiva. The aura of intimidation, if you could call it that, was still surrounding the Headmistress, but it seemed to be fading away ever so slowly. Nina let her gaze follow the floating tea cups, brows furrowing slightly at the response she got.

"I should have figured," she sighed. While working as a tour guide, she hadn't had any trouble with keeping the tourists' attention. Then again, though she hadn't thought much about it at the time, it probably helped that all of those tourists were there willingly. The few grumpy kids that had been dragged along by their parents were easy enough to entice with a few hushed words, so that they could feel like whatever she had told them was a secret for their ears only. Nina could hardly do that with every student who didn't want to interact with the lesson's subject.

"Thank you. Though, just to ask, is it safe to play games with the more dangerous beasts? I'm afraid that any beast over XXX class will stir up trouble."

"Of course." She nodded. Though it was nice to get a reminder, or perhaps confirmation that not all the fault was with her, she was aware that pretty much all of the students were hormonal teenagers, some more mature than others. Putting together a lesson that would appease everyone... Nina could hardly believe that was possible. "Their attitude is what it is. I'm just worried that they'll let that stop them from learning anything at all."

Nina was grateful that Kiva had time to talk with her. Having someone who had been in her position and thus could empathize with her wasn't what she had expected from the older woman, but the surprise was welcome.

@Kiva Kijewski-Jareau
PM
^
Kiva Kijewski-Jareau
 Posted: Aug 8 2017, 05:26 PM

Kiki

Age / 51

Blood Type / Halfblood

Timezone/ EST

Post Count/ 49

Kiva gave a nod and only added a touch of milk to her own tea before levitating them to the two of them. It was rare for the staff to come visit her except for Lucrezia (for obvious reasons). Kiva was pretty sure she had the reputation of Hag or something. She knew it was a hazard of the job, but she wished she could have more time with her staff.

She gave Nina a wary grin. Being a professor was difficult. Working with teenagers was difficult. There were plenty of people who really loved to do it and there were some who only did so because it was a job. Kiva had loved to teach her subject because she loved her career prior to teaching and she wanted to share that love with others. It turned out that she just happened to find her place in the world of education, but it didn’t mean that it had been easy. Nine was new and she’d eventually find that spot too.

Kiva gave a small chuckle at the question, “Well, no, probably not depending on the animal. But they can play games that don’t necessarily involve the animals but more of the knowledge behind them.” Kiva offered. “Like a trivia of some sort. I’m sure students would complain either way, but games tend to get the most response. But, generally, the more complex or dangerous animals typically garner the most interest so you may not even need to go so far as playing games.” Kiva specified as she thought it over.

“And, it’s good to remember that those in your advanced classes are there because they chose to be and not because it was required. They most likely will already have your full attention.” Kiva advised. “Of course, some might be taking it for an easy grade, but that’s on them, not on you. It takes awhile to really figure out how to properly teach students. It’s all trial and error.”

@Nina Locklear

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

OPTIONS REPLY NEW TOPIC START POLL

Affiliates [ View All | Link-us | Apply ]
Top Sites The Treehouse  

/