Welcome to Ilvermorny

Latest Announcements
We have new main profiles! Go fill in the new fields.

Have you read the new rules yet? Find them here!
Official News and Gossip
Coming Soon!

Autumn-- Late November | Highs 81°F/ Lows 63°F
SEVERE WEATHER WARNING: Constant heavy rains continue drenching the Mount Greylock area. No relief in sight. Outdoor activity is not advised. Please use extreme caution as flooding may occur.

***NAVIGATION BUTTONS***
Male Student of the Month
Female Student of the Month
Staff Character of the Month
Town Character of the Month
Couple of the Month
Author of the Month
New Author of the Month

PLEASE REGISTER WITH YOUR CHARACTER'S FIRST AND LAST NAME IN PROPER CAPS.

REPLY NEW TOPIC

Checkmate, Chessmate, Cyprus
Viv Barnum
 Posted: Mar 29 2018, 07:33 PM

Age / 11 | Height / 4'7"

Pronouns / She/Her/Hers

Blood Type / Unknown

Hometown /

Too Young /

Post Count/ 14

Reanie | She/Her/Hers

The chess pieces were haunting Viv’s brain as she stared at them. By accident, she had taken a seat beside the lonely game. In the past month, she had seen people play it. They hadn’t even touched one of the pieces, so she didn’t know how they could play. Did they use telepathy? Could witches use telepathy? Out of habit, Viv was biting her nails. She knew she should get used to the magic that was surrounding her. However, it was still a scary and vague subject that her brain just had trouble with processing. Playing a game of magical chess would definitely help her a little bit, even though she had never really played the normal – or ‘non-maj’ – version of the game. The blonde girl had seen others at the circus play it though. It seemed to be for smart people. She wasn’t particularly smart…

Her lack of fashion, and inability to properly style her light-colored locks – that looked like a bird’s nest –made her look like the most ignorant person in the world. The young witch had been too afraid to ask her roommates for any hairbrushes. She had been too afraid to her own as the weird government lady had bought it for her because it was a ‘special’ magical brush. What if her hair suddenly turned pink? Viv didn’t want that. She sighed and looked around, stopping biting her nails for a moment.

Her gaze went to the nearest person seated at her table, a boy that seemed to be around her age. Even though Viv was calm and introverted, she wasn’t afraid of people, especially not her peers. “Excuse me,” she said to get the other student’s attention, “Do you know how to play this game?” Elegantly – even though she grew up without learning manners – she pointed at the chess board and gave the boy an awkward smile that asked for help.

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
Cyprus Myrios
 Posted: Mar 29 2018, 11:05 PM

Cy

Age / 11 | Height / 4 foot ten inches

Pronouns / he/him/his

Blood Type / Halfblood

Hometown / Gladeville, TN

Eww, cooties. /

Post Count/ 26

Rillewen, Rill | she/her/hers

Cy was busy working on some homework, a stupid essay that he had to write for one of his classes, and sighed a little in frustration as he erased another line and began to rewrite it. Nodding to himself as he finally began to get a feel for what he was trying to write, he worked on it for a few moments before hearing someone that sounded like they were trying to get someone's attention. For a second he ignored it, then after a couple seconds he looked up, glanced around, and realized there wasn't really many other people around that she could be talking to. He took a look at the game that she was talking about and realized it was chess.

"Umm." He tilted his head at the table, contemplating this for a moment. "Kinda? I mean. I know the general.. goal of the game and mostly know how the pieces are allowed to move, if that's what you're asking?" Deciding this seemed more interesting than his homework, he set his pencil down and turned more fully to the girl. He didn't know her, but she seemed like she might be nice. "I'm Cy by the way, what's your name?" He asked, figuring it might be a good idea to get her name so he'd know what to call her, and all that. Just in case she wanted him to teach her how to play chess, he began thinking quickly about everything he knew about the game, trying to recall what he knew of how to play it.

--------------------
PM
^
Viv Barnum
 Posted: Mar 30 2018, 02:11 PM

Age / 11 | Height / 4'7"

Pronouns / She/Her/Hers

Blood Type / Unknown

Hometown /

Too Young /

Post Count/ 14

Reanie | She/Her/Hers

The unfamiliar classmate of hers didn’t seem to quite notice that Viv was talking to him. The elf-ish girl didn’t really mind. It was a weird and sudden request that came from nowhere. Besides that, back at home, she was used to getting ignored. At the circus, a brat like she didn’t have any value except for help with a few ‘magic’ tricks. Fortunately, the boy seemed to get that she was talking to him, and he tilted his head. “Well… Actually… I know the basic rules. It is just…” Would she sound stupid if she showed that she didn’t know anything about magic? To be honest, Viv always thought that she was the non-magical witch at the school. She understood nothing of magic. She couldn’t even do simple spells with the cursed stick that she had bought.

I don’t know how to play magic chess.” Viv admitted to her lack of knowledge in the field of magic and everything that belonged to the magical realm. She gave the boy an awkward, impish smile. “I saw people playing it without hands… Do they use some kind of spell?” Her gaze went to the chess board for a second, to eventually end up at the boy again when he fully turned towards her. The guy – apparently named Cy – introduced himself politely to her. “Oh, hi Cy. My name is Viv.” She introduced herself with a timid smile. “We are in the same year, right?

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
Cyprus Myrios
 Posted: Mar 30 2018, 03:11 PM

Cy

Pronouns / he/him/his

Blood Type / Halfblood

Eww, cooties. /

Post Count/ 26

"Oh." Cyprus considered this, upon hearing that the other girl actually knew the basic rules of chess, just not how to play wizarding chess. This was a new one on him. His other and sister had told him about Quidditch, but no one had mentioned anything about there being a special version of chess for the wizarding world. "Um." He moved over into the seat at the chess table, opposite of the girl who introduced herself as Viv. "Nice to meet you, Viv." He studied the chessboard thoughtfully. "My mom went to school here.." He mentioned. "But she never told me anything about magic chess." He poked one of the pawn pieces curiously.

Suddenly, he was startled when the chess piece jumped to life and saluted him. His eyes widened in surprise and he stared at it, then gave a brief glance at Viv wondering if she was surprised as well, before looking back to the chessman. It seemed like.. like it was waiting on instructions? He hesitated, thinking back to what he knew. Pawns were the ones that move first, right? He was pretty sure they could only go forward one space at a time. Or was it two? Maybe it was two on the first go, and one after that?

Deciding to try something, he tentatively spoke to it, while feeling a bit silly in case it didn't work,
"Move forward? Two spaces..." He watched and smiled a bit when it worked. "Wow.. cool." He grinned up at Viv. "I guess that means it's your turn now." He knew he wasn't so good at chess, and wondered if she was any good.

Viv Barnum

--------------------
PM
^
Viv Barnum
 Posted: Apr 15 2018, 09:29 AM

Age / 11 | Height / 4'7"

Pronouns / She/Her/Hers

Blood Type / Unknown

Hometown /

Too Young /

Post Count/ 14

Reanie | She/Her/Hers

Viv felt a bit anxious when she told him that she wanted to know about magic chess, specifically, and his facial expression changed to something that told her that Cyprus might not really know how it worked. Perhaps the boy was also someone that didn’t have a magical background. Quietly, she hoped that that was the case. However, soon she would learn that it wasn’t. The boy took the seat across from, telling her it was nice to meet her and looking at the chess thoughtfully. “Nice to meet you too,” her voice was soft and genuine. Her green eyes were observing the boy. This time from a closer range.

Oh, your mother?” So her classmate did have a magical background. That realization made her pout a little bit. So another person that had a lot more experience with magic than her. However, Viv still appreciated that Cyprus tried his best to help her with the chess. His words made her even curious if her mother had been a witch. And if so, had she attended Ilvermorny, as well? Probably not. In her mind, her parents had probably seen her perform ‘magic’ as a little baby and thrown her away. Just like how they did it at the orphanage.

With curiosity in her eyes that were as green as spring grass, the tiny witch’s gaze followed every movement that her new acquaintance made. That included him poking a pawn, which saluted him back. In surprise, Viv jumped a tiny bit in her seat. Her eyes had become a lot bigger as she stared at the pawn in shock. How… How was this reality… It was similar to the sorting ceremony where the statues had moved. However, it was as if this was the adorable version of it. Her reaction to it was also different from her reaction at the sorting ceremony. She was actually excited to play.

Wow,” her eyes sparkled as Viv looked at the pawn that moved two spaces towards her. Like Cyprus, she grinned as she looked at him. “My turn? Alright…” The girl studied the board, looking at the numbers and letters besides it as well. “Uhmm… Pawn B2?” The pawn on the square that she said started to move and saluted her just like the other pawn saluted Cyprus. “Move two spaces forward to B4, please.” Her voice sounded hesitant, and insecure. However, a big smile appeared slowly on her face as she saw the pawn move. “This is awesome!” Viv exclaimed, a little bit loud, so she put her hands to her mouth and giggled.

It is your turn,” the girl said, a lot quieter than before.

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
Cyprus Myrios
 Posted: Apr 15 2018, 09:27 PM

Cy

Pronouns / he/him/his

Blood Type / Halfblood

Eww, cooties. /

Post Count/ 26

Cy was just as surprised when the chess piece moved. He knew magic was real and all, obviously, but he hadn't expected inanimate objects to suddenly become animate and obey his orders. That was really awesome. Nodding when Viv said 'your mother?' he explained,
"My mom went to school here but my dad is a nomaj. She kept magic a secret from all three of us kids until my big sister Ria started showing magical signs. Then I guess she figured.. the cat was out of the bag, so she sat us all down and explained what was going on with the weird stuff that kept happening around her. She said she'd probably be getting a letter from Ilvermorny when she was around 11, and sure enough, she did. She didn't know yet, at the time, if me or my little sister would be magical too. But we did turn out to have magic in us. Obviously, I got my letter too." He grinned. "Sycamore will probably be here in a couple years."

Watching Viv make her move, Cy focused his attention on the game. He was not very much of a chess person. In fact, he wasn't totally sure how she knew which pawns were which, calling one of them by name? Or was there something he was missing? He looked over the pieces on his side of the board. "Who can move besides a pawn?" He mumbled to himself. Interestingly, a few pieces reacted by turning and giving him salute. Huh, ok. So they were listening, that was cool. Maybe they could help him out, sort of. "You then.. uh. Go.. as far as you can?" He told the knight. Were they the one that could move diagonally, or in the L shape? He figured he would find out when the knight made his move. As it strode forward across the board, he wondered whether it was a good choice to tell it to go as far as it could, since this may potentially place him right into the path of one of Viv's pawns...

Viv Barnum

--------------------
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

OPTIONS REPLY NEW TOPIC

Affiliates [ View All | Link-us | Apply ]
Top Sites The Treehouse