Welcome to Ilvermorny

Latest Announcements
Valentine's Day Rapid Fire is now live!

Official News and Gossip
Coming Soon!

Winter-- Mid February| Highs 33°F/ Lows 25°F
BLIZZARD WARNING. Travel with caution, as visibility is low.

***NAVIGATION BUTTONS***
Male Student of the Month
Female Student of the Month
Staff Character of the Month
Town Character of the Month
Couple of the Month
Author of the Month
New Author of the Month

PLEASE REGISTER WITH YOUR CHARACTER'S FIRST AND LAST NAME IN PROPER CAPS.

REPLY NEW TOPIC

Dying of confusion and boredom in cram school
Izumi Matsuki
 Posted: Dec 22 2017, 06:49 PM

Izzy (does not like being called Zumi)

Age / 14 | Height / 5 ft 4

Pronouns / He/Him

Blood Type / Unknown

Hometown / Kyoto, Japan

Single /

Post Count/ 41

Lisa | She/Her

Izumi had received a letter from Professor Lawson over the weekend, he'd already been told that he'd probably be receiving English lessons at some point during the term, because it was supposed to be a part of his exchange or transfer, he wasn't exactly sure what it was counted as anymore, he had no idea if he was even either of them now. He'd have to choose at the end of the year, but for now he was just trying to get through his first term in the strange castle.

Izumi had thought that his English was pretty good, before he'd started classes, but that was further from the truth, he had no grasp on any of the vocab and the formation of sentences. He gently placed his books on the table and began to settle himself in for the start of class. "Thank you, Sensei." Izumi had jumped out of his seat at the sound of the door opening, and he'd given the normal Japanese greeting for teachers, bow and all.

"I'm sorry that I'm late. I had a situation to deal with in the muggle town." Robyn was out of breath, he'd run most of the way there, if he'd known that it would have taken so long to get a game like boggle from the local toy shop, then he would have gotten his parents to send him one through the post. The boy looked small and nervous in his chair. Learning a new language was tough, especially when it wasn't your native one, Robyn knew that first hand, he'd only spoken Welsh until the age of six, when his father decided to start teaching him English. "We might have someone joining us later on, but I guess we can start playing this game." He shook the box, to show his meaning.

Izumi wasn't sure that he'd ever played the game before, but the idea of finding words of at least three letters in the cube to create words sounded fun. He guessed that it probably had something to do with spelling or something like that. "Can I use Japanese words too, Sensei?" He knew that he was trying his luck, but it was also a good way to see how much he could get away with.
"I'm afraid not, but nice try you little chancer." That made Izumi feel nervous, he felt as though that sentence usually ended with hair being ruffled or some other display, it was just another one of those cultural differences. But Professor Lawson didn't attempt anything like that.

Craig Meyers
OOC:(Double writing both my own characters)
PM
^
Craig Meyers
 Posted: Jan 9 2018, 05:37 PM

CJ

Age / 33 | Height / 5'9"

Pronouns / He/Him

Blood Type / Halfblood

Hometown / Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Dating / Briar Rose Scribe

Post Count/ 65

Cutter | Any

Craig finished his class and hurried down the hall towards the room he was expected to be in. The invite to assist with ESL sounded exciting, though he wasn't entirely sure how well it would work. A Canadian and a Welshman trying to teach English to the same Japanese student? It could get messy. And worse, the kid's accent while mimicking the pair of professors could be disastrous. But, it was worth a try. And perhaps Craig could learn another language in the process? He only knew four, a few more couldn't hurt. Besides, he had always been fascinated by the Japanese culture and if he wasn't there to teach, he likely would've moved on to a dig site somewhere in Japan. But then he wouldn't have met Briar and the thought made him sad.

Professor Meyers entered the room to see Robyn and the student playing Boggle. Interesting choice and it looked like fun! Though Craig had trouble with sitting still for games. He wasn't even sure what the students struggles were just yet, but he was sure he would learn in due time.
"Hello! You must be Izumi." He hoped he pronounced the students name correctly. He'd had his fair share of being called Cray by others unfamiliar with his name. "How are the lessons going so far? How would you like me to help, Professor Lawson?"

Izumi Matsuki

--------------------
Izumi Matsuki
 Posted: Jan 9 2018, 08:09 PM

Izzy (does not like being called Zumi)

Age / 14 | Height / 5 ft 4

Pronouns / He/Him

Blood Type / Unknown

Hometown / Kyoto, Japan

Single /

Post Count/ 41

Lisa | She/Her

Robyn made a flat hand gesture across his neck, as way to signal to Craig that he had pronounced Izumi's name wrong. He knew how to pronounce the name, because of a foster child of his parents. They'd taken care of an eight-year-old called Itsuki. Robyn didn't know how common it was for teachers to be unable to pronounce certain names. "Nai, Nai, Nai. It's IY-ZUW-MIY." Izumi pronounced it as he wrote the same thing down on a piece of paper, underneath that he wrote "泉" which Robyn guessed was the kanji for his name. He knew very little of the language, but he'd grown up reading manga and of course he would be nowhere without his adopted sister Sakura, Robyn had had to depend on her for translation when he'd spent some time in Japan with work.

Izumi had bowed once more at the arrival of the other Professor, he must have been the guest that Professor Lawson was talking about. It didn't really surprise him too much to have to pronounce his name, that had happened a lot already and he wasn't entirely sure that it had even worked. Most of the time he just told people to call him Izzy, if that was easier.

"Izumi's speaking skills are pretty good, so are his listening and reasoning skills. Diction is a tiny bit off but, not too bad. The biggest problem is going to be grammar and spelling, Izumi has mild dyslexia. Hence, the game of Boggle for spelling." Robyn didn't exactly know what the heck he was doing, he'd actually had to ask his mother for ideas and ways to do it. "Watashi wa kokusai-tekina gakkō ni ikimashita. Watashi wa tasuke nashi de eigo o hanasu koto ga dekimasu." Izumi sat back in his chair and folded his arms, this was followed by a deep glare.

"Uh Yeah, he's a little sensitive about the topic." Maybe he should have lead with that part first.

Craig Meyers

-Izumi
Watashi wa kokusai-tekina gakkō ni ikimashita. Watashi wa tasuke nashi de eigo o hanasu koto ga dekimasu- I went to an international school, so I can speak English without help
PM
^
Craig Meyers
 Posted: Feb 10 2018, 03:09 PM

CJ

Age / 33 | Height / 5'9"

Pronouns / He/Him

Blood Type / Halfblood

Hometown / Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Dating / Briar Rose Scribe

Post Count/ 65

Cutter | Any

Craig didn't mean to mispronounce the student's name, but he wasn't as familiar with any of the Asian countries. His specialties were based in Africa or Central America, where he'd spent years speaking with the locals as he'd picked up supplies for excavations.
"Izumi, terribly sorry! Thank you for correcting me." The animagus smiled. He may be a teacher, but that didn't mean he was going to stop learning.

Listening to the Welshman explain the boy's current skill level, Craig had questions. The professors would be on the same page as far as grammar and spelling were concerned, but it would differ slightly from the Americans. Which should they teach? Don't confuse the kid by moving back and forth between British English and American English.

"Scrabble might be another good tool for spelling exercises." Craig offered with a smile. "Perhaps we can get together after this and hammer out a proper lesson plan. Not with a bunch of homework or anything. There's plenty of that with his normal lessons, after all." At least none of those concerns would interfere with the boy's spell casting.
"At least most of these lessons would be fun games and not take up too much of your time, eh?" Craig wanted to ease the kid's mind about the extra lessons. "What sort of extra activities do you have going on? Then we can set up regular times to work with you."

Izumi Matsuki
(Sorry this took so long!)

--------------------
Robyn Lawson
 Posted: Feb 13 2018, 06:58 PM

Rob

Age / 24 | Height / 5 ft 11

Pronouns / He/Him

Blood Type / Halfblood

Hometown / Swansea, Wales

Single /

Post Count/ 52

Lisa | She/Her

Izumi had no idea what the heck either of them was talking about, he had been too busy fishing about in his pocket for something that he'd placed there, before the start of this weird class. "Uh, Saigo no tokubetsuna sensei kara no memo ga aru." He handed over the neatly folded up piece of paper, the writing on the outside looked like chicken markings to him or at least that's what he thought it was called in English. When he had been given the letter he'd been surprised to see Professor Sato's natural hand. Izumi shrugged at the apology, he sometimes found it hard to pronounce English names and words.

Robyn sighed, he'd completely forgotten about Scrabble. "Yeah, probably best to sort out some this outside class. But I'd say possibly Spelling bingo as well." The letter was like a smack in the face for him, how could he have not thought that Harley had gotten a job doing something like working with children or even working in a school. "Looks like British English is the way to go. Harley says that she packed him off with a bunch of worksheets, which apparently he was supposed to hand over in case of something like this." It didn't bother him too much, it was easy to forget stuff like old worksheets.

"I lost them on the Air-pain." Izumi said, he felt like he was about to get into some real trouble. It was somewhat of a lie, he actually couldn't remember where he'd put them. "Good thing I actually know Professor Sato and can actually find out what was on them, or get another copy of. I hope don't mind using British English?" The Professor turned and asked the other one. Izumi didn't not like the idea of doing the paperwork that he had lost, it was gone for a reason. He also did not like the idea of doing extra homework, he already struggled to get most of what he already had done.

Izumi shrugged at the question about activities, 1. because he didn't really understand the actual meaning of the question and, 2. was because he avoided getting involved in anything with people, due to his limited ability to communicate.

Craig Meyers

Saigo no tokubetsuna sensei kara no memo ga aru- I have a note from my last special teacher

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

OPTIONS REPLY NEW TOPIC

Affiliates [ View All | Link-us | Apply ]
Top Sites The Treehouse  one & the same Tallygarunga - The Australian Potterverse