Welcome to Ilvermorny

This is Atop Mount Greylock, a modern day Ilvermorny rpg. At Greylock, we ignore the existence of the characters of Harry Potter and create all original characters so that we can be free to play in the world created by our Queen, JKR.

Male Student of the Month
Female Student of the Month
Staff Character of the Month
Town Character of the Month
Couple of the Month
Group of the Month
Author of the Month
New Author of the Month

PLEASE REGISTER WITH YOUR CHARACTER'S FIRST AND LAST NAME IN PROPER CAPS.

REPLY NEW TOPIC START POLL

Internal Wars, OPEN
Caelia Lucan
 Posted: Sep 16 2017, 05:51 AM

just a silly little girl

Age / 17

Blood Type / Pureblood

Hometown / Massachusetts

Single / No one, why would you ask?!

Author Alias / "Jane Doe"

Timezone/ CET (France)

Post Count/ 44

Seventh year.

Caelia hadn’t been able to believe it when she waited for the train with her parents and grandmother, she hadn’t been able to believe it when she arrived at Ilvermorny for her last year, she hadn’t been able to believe it when she watched the new first years get Sorted (a tradition she and her friends never missed). They were a few weeks into classes now and she was still having a hard time wrapping her mind around it.

Things were different now. Looking back at what she’d been like as a first year, a shy witch who depended on her older brother for help passing classes and allowed a slightly over-bearing friend and Grandmother Viviane to dictate her social decisions, to how she was now was surprising. Before she hadn’t been friends with Matthew, she had been terrified of all werewolves without discrimination, she hadn’t thought she was worth anything. But the years at Ilvermorny had changed things. She was in love with Matthew now (it almost hurt too much to think about, and her heart clenched in her chest when she thought about his parting gift, his parting words), she’d overcome a lot of her prejudice and her natural curiosity (most of which had all but up and disappeared when she’d been put into the care of Grandmother Viviane) was starting to return.

Which of these things was most surprising to her, Caelia didn’t know. Her first-year self had unceremoniously cut Matthew out of her life for being a Squiib, she had never once believed that a werewolf could be a decent being, and she’d not even remembered that she had once been a curious girl. The hardest part of the three was not admitting she had been wrong, however, it had been figuring out how to come to terms with her newfound ability to actually understand the more complex topics that were discussed around her. How could she suddenly provide insight on a subject that only a few years ago would have left her dizzy in the head and saying some ridiculously ditsy thing, the sort of comment only a Pureblood housewife could come up with?

The answer was, she didn’t know, and lessons like this where she was required to use her brain in some sort of intellectual discussion were lessons which stumped her. At least Skarfug made lessons interesting (something she’d never admit to anyone in case it got back to her grandmother who thought it positively Medieval a goblin should be teaching wizards nevermind a portrait of a goblin despite the fact that goblins probably had more rights now than in the Medieval times…).

“I-I-What do you think?” she asked the student sitting next to her, not even looking up from her detailed notes, precise and neat like the pressed uniform she wore. Maybe her note-taking made her look studious, or perhaps it just made her look silly like she didn’t have it in her to remember even a few minutes of what Skarfug was saying. In reality she just wanted a distraction because she didn’t want to think about the proposal.

“Freedom is probably a good thing, right?”

--------------------
user posted image
*being a fool sometimes does not make one a fool all the time
PM
^
Vittoria Errico
 Posted: Sep 30 2017, 03:37 PM

Vitt, Tori

Age / 17

Blood Type / Halfblood

Hometown / Milan, Italy

Single / Nobody

Author Alias / Sherryl | Sherr

Timezone/ EST

Post Count/ 20

Vittoria looked at the girl next to her as she perked up from looking over the notes that have been written down for the lesson. "For me, personally, I think we have a right to have our own freedom, even if we have to gain it. I'm sure with this war, it was probably an excuse so this way one of the parties can potentially get what they want, but then again, it was inevitable for religious diversity in a way that affects this war," she said while looking over the notes. She then looked back at the girl after looking at a valuable source.

“According to a source I found that was posted in 2009, the fallout that happened reshaped the religious and political map of Central Europe, however, this conflict began in the Holy Roman Empire, even though it redrew that map.

“As for your opinion, I do say that we have our own reasons as to why we want freedom and if it’s good or bad, but we have to have a reason, politically or religiously, as to why we want it. Yes, freedom is a good thing, but we have to find the religious and political diversity to back up our reason to want freedom, to want the independence.”

--------------------
user posted image
Credit: Debbie
PM EMAIL
^
Caelia Lucan
 Posted: Oct 5 2017, 01:28 PM

just a silly little girl

Age / 17

Blood Type / Pureblood

Hometown / Massachusetts

Timezone/ CET (France)

Post Count/ 44

Caelia smiled hesitantly back at her roommate. She was pretty and clever, the whole package, Caelia thought. If she weren’t a Halfblood, the old Caelia added in her mind, although the new Caelia was more concerned how she was going to respond to such a well-thought out answer.

Certainly she would respond as though she’d swallowed a textbook like Vittoria had, but she wanted to give a little bit more of a response than simply the standard “freedom is goof for wizards and witches who use their time valuably but not for non-humanoid magical creatures who are too stupid to know what to do with their time” which seemed to be what many of the staunch Pureblood families believed in theory even if not in practice.

“Does everyone need a political or religious reason to want freedom?” Caelia finally decided on asking. Asking questions either meant you were very smart or very dumb and so in this case worked perfectly as a stall until she could decide whether or not she was going to start trying in classes this year. In particular, she wanted to see how Vittoria would justify the hole Caelia thought she had found in her argument.

Wanting freedom from a parent or a controlling spouse was not exactly religious or political. Certainly Caelia wasn’t making a political or religious stand by wanting to further her studies in Astronomy after Ilvermorny. Perhaps it was connected to politics, but her reasoning was simply that she enjoyed studying Astronomy and wanted to study it more. Her reason itself had no basis in politics or religion, it was completely selfish and only having to do with her desires.

Tag: Vittoria Errico
OOC: Sorry it took so long! Internet problems/I didn't realize until today that you had replied!

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
Vittoria Errico
 Posted: Oct 5 2017, 01:51 PM

Vitt, Tori

Age / 17

Blood Type / Halfblood

Hometown / Milan, Italy

Single / Nobody

Timezone/ EST

Post Count/ 20

Vittoria sighed as Caelia asked the question, her mind trying to figure out the right words to say. Of course, she agreed, but what she had in mind was certainly something to think about. What to respond, what to respond... Vittoria thought as she tried to figure out the right words. She then looked over at her roommate, figuring out the answer to her question.

"I believe so, yes. There are a few reasons behind this, Caelia. First and foremost, religious freedom does support societies that are unrestricted and thriving. It creates the space that values and norms need along with having some of that space needed for institutions that are culturally involved. This movement also supports civil liberties along with this upholding families and allowing the faith to be lived out in a work field.

"As for the political portion, it's mainly focused on the optimistical part of wanting our freedom. We want to have the hope and confidence to back up the evidence of wanting that independence when we ask for it."

Vittoria sighed as she tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. I hope I didn't mess up my answer too badly, she thought while smiling a bit back at her roommate.

Caelia Lucan

--------------------
user posted image
PM EMAIL
^
Caelia Lucan
 Posted: Oct 5 2017, 02:41 PM

just a silly little girl

Age / 17

Blood Type / Pureblood

Hometown / Massachusetts

Timezone/ CET (France)

Post Count/ 44

Pretty and clever, her earlier thoughts were completely right. Caelia had only heard this level of reasoning when listening to her brother Emrys and his friends iin the archaeology program in China discuss things and Emrys had been a Horned Serpent. Usually people knew not to talk this way with Simple Caelia. But even though the level of speech was high, she appreciated Vittoria for not dumbing down her talk for her.

“I see,” she said, still hesitating in her response. It was true that she had become more curious over the years and more interested in school work, ending up with becoming increasingly smarter. However it wasn’t an over night thing and some of the language patterns Vittoria used sitll went over her head.

“What if they want the freedom to choose something?” she then asked, feeling like asking questions was the safest bet. “Like not because of their religion or because they want to make a political stand. What if it’s the freedom to choose something selfishly?”

Caelia was talking about herself now, but either she didn’t realize or she didn’t care. It wasn’t like Vittoria was in her head anyhow. Caelia highly doubted that the halfblood would realize she was talking about herself. Not even Emrys or Matthew knew she wanted freedom, Jax was the only one who even had an inkling of Caelia’s deepest, darkest desires for herself.

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
Vittoria Errico
 Posted: Oct 5 2017, 03:08 PM

Vitt, Tori

Age / 17

Blood Type / Halfblood

Hometown / Milan, Italy

Single / Nobody

Timezone/ EST

Post Count/ 20

Vittoria nods as she sat there quietly while sighing. I guess reading those textbooks helped, she thought to herself. Was she over the top with her answers? Was it too much? She shook her head, second-guessing her answers. Vitt looked at Caelia as she was asked the question.

She sighed, trying to take her roommate's question into account. "That's a very good question, Caelia," Vittoria said. "If you were to choose something selfishly to gain freedom, then who knows what's going to happen? Maybe consequences? That's something that's yet to come," Vittoria replied. She shook her head, hoping her answer made sense.

Vittoria was never the one to gain freedom in a selfish manner; she's someone who thinks that there are rules as to how you gain it along with providing evidence.

Caelia Lucan

--------------------
user posted image
PM EMAIL
^
Caelia Lucan
 Posted: Oct 6 2017, 03:45 AM

just a silly little girl

Age / 17

Blood Type / Pureblood

Hometown / Massachusetts

Timezone/ CET (France)

Post Count/ 44

Her roommate seemed to be sighing a lot, but Caelia tried hard not to pay attention to it. Sighing in class with her was something Caelia had become used to over the years. She didn’t really have the best reputation for her classroom abilities and so she was sure that she was only sounding ignorant in that moment. Maybe it would be best just to let things slide and say Vittoria was right. It would be good practice for later on once she was married, anyway…

“Consequences come from any decision you make,” she said simply. It was something she knew well enough. If she accepted Matthew’s proposal she could say goodbye to her comfortable life and everything that came as a perk of being from an old Pureblood family. But it was possible she would be allowed to have a career. If she said no to him…she would keep her family and her status, she wouldn’t let down the Lucan name or reputation but she would marry without love and would like have no career. Was it worth it? She thought she loved Matthew, but she didn’t even know if she wanted a career or not…

“That all comes after, but the reason comes before,” it was simple enough logic, something even the Caelia the rest of the school knew would know. “So if it’s for a selfish reason, then probably not everyone wants freedom for religious or political reasons.” That was easy enough to follow, right? Nothing overly complicated or indicative of the exercise the extra studying had been giving her brain?

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
Vittoria Errico
 Posted: Oct 6 2017, 12:46 PM

Vitt, Tori

Age / 17

Blood Type / Halfblood

Hometown / Milan, Italy

Single / Nobody

Timezone/ EST

Post Count/ 20

Vittoria looked at her roommate with soft eyes. "You're right on that one, but we don't have to just rely on them, Caelia," she started, "I think the best way to think about the situation is to think of different methods at once to achieve our freedom instead of using religious and political reasons. I personally think that's what you're trying to hint at, but I could be wrong."

She faced the front of the classroom as she sat comfortably in her seat. Vittoria liked the fact that she can state her own opinions but was she going too far with them or was it the fact that she liked to say them without getting judged? She sat there, hoping that she wasn't TOO opinionated, but since this was up for discussion, she didn't mind it, as long as she didn't go too far.

While waiting for Caelia's response, she tucked a piece of her long hair behind her ear since it was bothering her. I should've brought a hair tie with me, she thought.

((OOC: I apologize if I messed up in any way... I tried my best with this post, so please bear with me.))

Caelia Lucan

--------------------
user posted image
PM EMAIL
^
Caelia Lucan
 Posted: Oct 8 2017, 03:42 AM

just a silly little girl

Age / 17

Blood Type / Pureblood

Hometown / Massachusetts

Timezone/ CET (France)

Post Count/ 44

It was the first time Caelia had ever really engaged with anyone intellectually since she’d started Greylock. Sure she and Jax worked on Astronomy outside of class, and Conrad had tutored her in most of her subjects after Emrys graduated, but those didn’t really count. Jax and Conrad and Emrys were all looking out for her, they were helping her with school. Here it was almost like she and Vittoria were intellectual equals and Caelia had never felt like that before in her life. It was…freeing.

It was too bad that it all had to come to an end. Engaging in class was so new to Caelia that it made her uncomfortable. She felt like the entire Advanced year was staring at her and judging her. Saying things about her and wondering who she had stolen her ideas from.

“Yeah,” she said with a shrug and a nod. Smile softly and look like an idiot, she instructed herself. “You’re probably right, I don’t know what I was thinking.” She wanted to ask more questions, she wanted to know why Vittoria thought the way she did. She was curious, but she was afraid of showing that curiosity to anyone other than Jax. Even though he had been understanding, she wasn’t so sure anyone else would be. After all, she had spent her first five years at Ilvermorny acing practical exams and nearly failing anything to do with theory. She was known to be a strong witch but a terrible student.

But it was easier to give up than to persist.

Tag: Vittoria Errico
OOC: Dude, Caelia’s at war with herself lol and I’m just happy someone replied to her!

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
Vittoria Errico
 Posted: Oct 8 2017, 12:31 PM

Vitt, Tori

Age / 17

Blood Type / Halfblood

Hometown / Milan, Italy

Single / Nobody

Timezone/ EST

Post Count/ 20

Vittoria straightened herself up after slumping in her chair. She was glad she was able to show the honest side of her but was she overly honest in today's discussion? She looked at Caelia after sitting up straight. She could tell she was anxious, not that it bothered her since she was like that once. Vittoria tucked her hair while looking at her roommate.

"Caelia, you had some good points in what you shared with me in the previous moments just now," she said. "There's no right or wrong answer. You did very well with speaking thoroughly on the subject. Nobody has to have the same opinion."

Vittoria made sure that what she said to Caelia was said in a way to reassure her that not everybody has to agree, but can see why her roommate felt the way she did when it came to being rational, whether it was being used politically, religiously, or in another aspect.

Caelia Lucan

--------------------
user posted image
PM EMAIL
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

OPTIONS REPLY NEW TOPIC START POLL

Affiliates [ View All | Link-us | Apply ]
Top Sites The Treehouse  

/