Welcome to Ilvermorny

Latest Announcements
An Earthquake briefly hit Greylock in February
Repairs and recoveries are ongoing.

The final game is now live!

Official News and Gossip
Coming Soon!

Winter-- Late April--Early May| Highs 65°F/ Lows 45°F
Snow is melting and the weather has returned to seasonal expectations.

***NAVIGATION BUTTONS***
Male Student of the Month
Female Student of the Month
Staff Character of the Month
Town Character of the Month
Couple of the Month
Author of the Month
New Author of the Month

PLEASE REGISTER WITH YOUR CHARACTER'S FIRST AND LAST NAME IN PROPER CAPS.

REPLY NEW TOPIC

C. Chevalier Administrative Tribunal, Closed. First Saturday; Second Term.
Erin Smythe
 Posted: Jun 7 2018, 01:13 PM

Age / | Height /

Pronouns / She/her

Blood Type / Unknown

Hometown /

1` /

Post Count/ 12

Redshirt | They/Them

The Tribunal was held in a luxurious room that was ordinarily off limits to students. Dark woods were inlaid with powerful protections ingrained by the pukwudgies that helped to build this room. Charming, elaborate stained glass windows decorated high up on the walls. At the back of the room was the judge’s stand where Deputy Headmistress Erin Smythe stood. While there were rows of benches for witnesses and friends to sit at, the Deputy Headmistress made it clear that this session was closed only to relevant the staff. The jury’s stand held only the requisite number of staff to ensure that the Deputy Headmistress did not abuse her authority.

The first case of the term: Cian Chevalier’s Administrative Tribunal.

To start, Erin read all of the statements that students and staff had supplied the previous term, building the picture for the Tribunal as was procedural. It was a lengthy process. A tireless interpreter worked to convert it all into sign for Cian. In the corner, a lone typewriter punched away, taking down the verbalized speech. Each person present had a glass of water and a pitcher in case they needed a refill.

She softened as she leaned forward, speaking to Cian, not the interpreter, as she knew this must be terrifying and he was but a child. “Before I announce the ruling, do you have anything that you would like to say in your defense. I have some questions for you after you’ve said your piece. I imagine you’ve had some time to think about the incident.”

Cian Chevalier For your information: Lucrezia Webquish

--------------------
WARNING! YOU ARE RPING WITH A VEELA!

She will appear inhumanly beautiful. Dying her hair and make-up reduces the intensity.

"They are incredibly beautiful, though inhumanly so, but when they dance, that apparent inhumanity no longer matters. Like the legendary Sirens, Veela music and dance has the power to cloud men's minds and make them want to do insane and self-destructive things in order to secure the notice of these desirable creatures."
PM
^
Cian Chevalier
 Posted: Jun 7 2018, 01:20 PM

"Key-in"

Age / 17 | Height / 5'11"

Pronouns / he/him

Blood Type / Halfblood

Hometown / East Haven, Vermont

Crushing / on Laila Kennedy

Post Count/ 354

Grace | she/her

Yes, Cian had had plenty of time to think about the incident. He had thought about it all through break. The tribunal room, which he had never seen before, was an intimidating place. He tried not to look as terrified as he felt, staring past the Deputy Headmistress at the interpreter by her shoulder. The worst case scenario, being expelled, kept flashing through his head. How likely was that to happen? Would they allow him to come all the way back to school only to send him packing?

Cian wiped his sweaty palms on his uniform pants when the Deputy asked if he had anything to say. In his defense? No. What would he say? ‘Eddie is a jerk and deserved to get punched’? He doubted that the Deputy Headmistress would think that Eddie’s actions toward Laila were worthy of a punch to the face. Besides, in retrospect Cian didn’t think it was really warranted anyway. He regretted what he had done, and not just because he had gotten into trouble for it.

All I have to say is just that I’m sorry. It felt like a cliche thing to say, but the look in Cian’s eyes showed that he was sincere. The next words came haltingly. I think I need to keep seeing the counselor. Maybe stopping wasn’t such a good idea. His anger issues had flared up initially after the death of their parents, causing him to lash out at some of his siblings and to lie to the librarian. He had thought he had gotten better, but clearly that wasn’t the case.

Erin Smythe
PM
^
Erin Smythe
 Posted: Jun 7 2018, 01:32 PM

Age / | Height /

Pronouns / She/her

Blood Type / Unknown

Hometown /

1` /

Post Count/ 12

Redshirt | They/Them

Erin nodded, compassion floating in her eyes. An apology was a terrific start to a defense.

Continue seeing the counselor. “Maybe,” Erin conceded. She did not know all of the particulars of Cian’s hardships, however she’d done her research in preparation for this case. It was difficult to remember every student, but Cian Chevalier stood out. Not simply because of his being deaf, but in his extraordinary pursuits in ingenious and helpful magic. He did not participate in many activities beyond his scholastic pursuits, but he still made meaningful connections with his peers.

“Would you mind if I asked you a few questions?” She didn’t want to interrupt him if he had more to add in his defense, but she needed to get to the bottom of what had happened and what would drive an ordinarily good student to act out. Was it simply unresolved feelings about the sudden death of his parents? Or was there something else at play? What would be the most fair counter to his actions that would balance between teaching him a lesson and discourage him from trying to violently resolve his affairs.

Maybe? He wasn’t quite sure why it was a maybe. Was there a situation in which it would be a no? As he thought this a stab of panic shot through his chest. He certainly wouldn’t be able to see the counselor if he was expelled.

Cian Chevalier

--------------------

She will appear inhumanly beautiful. Dying her hair and make-up reduces the intensity.

"They are incredibly beautiful, though inhumanly so, but when they dance, that apparent inhumanity no longer matters. Like the legendary Sirens, Veela music and dance has the power to cloud men's minds and make them want to do insane and self-destructive things in order to secure the notice of these desirable creatures."
PM
^
Cian Chevalier
 Posted: Jun 7 2018, 01:43 PM

"Key-in"

Pronouns / he/him

Blood Type / Halfblood

Post Count/ 354

Grace | she/her

One of the fortunate things about signing was that when your mouth was completely devoid of moisture due to nerves, your speech wasn’t affected. No, go ahead. What else was he supposed to say? It wasn’t as if he was in much of position to not answer questions from the Deputy. Just as he had during the first meeting, he didn’t want to go into details but wasn’t sure he would have much of a choice this time.

“You’ve never shown a propensity towards violence before,” she started. “Why did this particular incident push you to assault a classmate?” She held up her hands to stave off any repeating of what he’d signed before because she’d heard. She recognized that this was a tumultuous event for him. “I understand you are sorry, but whatever you felt then needs to be validated and addressed all the same.”

Cian looked between the Deputy Headmistress and the interpreter, as if expecting there to have been some translation error. What he felt needed to be validated? While he had told his side -- or what he was willing to tell -- already, he hadn’t thought anyone would phrase it that way, as if he was allowed those feelings. However, what he was actually going to say he wasn’t sure. When she had first asked him what had happened directly after the fight, he had chosen to keep Laila out of it. He still didn’t want to drag her into it, but how was he supposed to explain exactly what had happened if he didn’t?

Ed’s actions really hurt someone else and, when I saw the look on their face, something just snapped. I didn’t even really know what I was doing until after I did it. He had immediately regretted it, too. He had been standing completely still, hand back by his side when Ed kicked him then pinned him down. The description of what had happened was, of course, intentionally vague. If at all possible, he would avoid mentioning Laila, the ‘their’ left as an unspecified point in empty space.

Erin Smythe
Mentions: Laila Kennedy, Edwin Murray
PM
^
Erin Smythe
 Posted: Jun 7 2018, 01:49 PM

Age / | Height /

Pronouns / She/her

Blood Type / Unknown

Hometown /

1` /

Post Count/ 12

Redshirt | They/Them

His body language spoke to her as much as his words did. She could recall the number of times she’d let her temper get the best of her. She took a note down. For all the right reasons, Cian had the misfortune to react in the worst possible manner. Erin nodded slowly, pulling her eyes up from her hidden notepad as she spoke, “I see. In hindsight, how do you wish you had handled the situation or do you think this was wholly unavoidable - inevitable?”

Well, he certainly wasn’t going to tell her he thought his actions were unavoidable. Not that he believed it, but there was an obvious right answer to that question. We should have just left, or gone to a different part of the hall. It wasn’t my issue to get involved in. If he had just comforted Laila, maybe gone to the greenhouses like they said, things would have gone so differently. Cian, however, already knew how life changing one moment could be. It wasn’t a lesson he had to learn again.

“I think it’s laudable to stand up for your friends,” she commented with a slight smile. “But how you involved yourself this time is disappointing.” And she wasn’t surprised how disappointed she’d been in his actions. From what she gathered in statements, Cian started the fight with Ed. She wouldn't have believed that if she hadn't seen it herself. She enjoyed him in her class and would certainly have stood up for him. Cian instigating a fight was slander if the evidence hadn't hinted at the contrary. But here they were. And every action had its consequences.

Cian Chevalier
For the mention: Edwin Murray Laila Kennedy

--------------------

PM
^
Cian Chevalier
 Posted: Jun 7 2018, 01:51 PM

"Key-in"

Pronouns / he/him

Blood Type / Halfblood

Post Count/ 354

Grace | she/her

“So tell me,” she leaned on her podium, forearms against it, fingers clasped in a loose ball, “How shall we keep you from doing this again?” Erin, of course, had her ruling in mind, nothing Cian had said had changed her decision on the matter, but she was curious to see how the seventh year would handle this. While he might have only recently joined the school from a farm, he had a sharp societal-cognizant mind. Wizarding society was often not forgiving. The MACUSA was the big brother nobody wanted, but occasionally needed to maintain order. Would he beg for a pardon? Was his guilt so deeply rooted that he’d demand for the harshest ruling? Or did he sit somewhere along the median?

The Deputy Headmistress’ words at least eased some of the fear that he was about to get thrown out of school. She seemed understanding if not entirely sympathetic and he figured she wouldn’t be asking for his opinion about what to do if she was just going to expel him at the end of this meeting. How to actually answer, though? It was a tricky question and felt like something of a test.

He rather felt that the degree of punishment was going to have little effect on him. He already felt terrible, punishing him wasn’t going to make him feel any more terrible. However, saying that, a cliched ‘the guilt has been punishment enough’ seemed unlikely to do much good and perhaps even come across like he was trying to get off easy.

I don’t… plan on doing anything like this again, he responded slowly. I realize though, that my actions have consequences and I don’t expect there to be no repercussions. He faltered at that point, hoping that the Deputy Headmistress would pick up from there. It wasn’t like he wanted to give himself a punishment.

Erin Smythe
PM
^
Erin Smythe
 Posted: Jun 7 2018, 01:53 PM

Age / | Height /

Pronouns / She/her

Blood Type / Unknown

Hometown /

1` /

Post Count/ 12

Redshirt | They/Them

She nodded, straightening up and tucking away a stray hair. That left her with the unsavory task of declaring his punishment. Erin tucked her pen away with her notes and thought of how she’d phrase it. While this was part of her duty as the Deputy Headmistress, it wasn’t something she was accustomed to by any means.

“For inciting a fight during the Winter Formal, I find you guilty. For assaulting Edwin Murray the evening of the Winter Formal with no provocation, I find you guilty.” Her expressive eyes hardened at the indictment. She looked more severe where she stood in the stiff judge’s robes of her position and her hair pulled back than she normally did as his fun-loving History of Magic professor. “However, the assault and following fight was an act in the face of extreme emotional duress, I hereby lessen the degrees to the follies and foolhardiness of youth.”

“Cian Chevalier, you will lose ten points for your Horned Serpent house, effective this term. And, at the date of my choosing, you are to report to my office for a cautionary tale. This is a traditional ruling of the indigenous people of Mount Greylock meant to keep younglings from going astray. All other tribunal work is to be tabled; the tribunal is dismissed.” She bounced the gavel, the typewriter that had been keeping notes immediately shucked itself into a position for the remaining page to be pulled out.

Cian Chevalier
For the mention: Edwin Murray

--------------------

PM
^
Cian Chevalier
 Posted: Jun 7 2018, 01:58 PM

"Key-in"

Pronouns / he/him

Blood Type / Halfblood

Post Count/ 354

Grace | she/her

Cian flinched at her words and the hardness in her eyes. However, when her sentence was laid out, he couldn’t keep the surprise off his face. It was considerably more lenient than he had been expecting when he had first walked into the room. The thought of meeting up with her wasn’t particularly appealing, though. He liked her as a professor -- and History of Magic was one of his favorite and best classes -- but he didn’t want to have to drag it out, agonize over the moment even more.

Of course, he couldn’t hear the gavel land, but it was clear enough. He wasn’t quite sure what to do next. Was he supposed to thank her? Offer more reassurances that he had learned his lesson? Fortunately, he didn’t have to make that decision as the Deputy Headmistress was already getting up to leave.

The other professors talked with each other, nodding over something. Erin disappeared into a back room. The interpreter stepped towards Cian, Hello. Are you okay?

Despite having been born deaf and sign being his native language, Cian didn’t have all that much experience with interpreters. Back home, it had always been his siblings or his mother who did the interpreting. They had no need for professional interpreters when a family member could take the role. So he was taken aback when the interpreter approached, unsure if there was etiquette he was missing.

Better than I was, I guess. He rubbed the back of his head before continuing. I’m still in school, so that’s good.

Erin Smythe
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

OPTIONS REPLY NEW TOPIC

Affiliates [ View All | Link-us | Apply ]
Top Sites The Treehouse  one & the same Tallygarunga - The Australian Potterverse